Moving checklist

All the paperwork you have to do before and after moving

Here is all the paperwork you will need to do months before leaving your place :

  • Get a Residence Permit (Carte de séjour/Titre de séjour ou carte de résident) if you don’t come from a Schengen country (information on This is one of the most difficult parts of the moving process. You’ll need to go to the French Embassy in your home country to know all the processes you will need to undertake before moving to France and they will provide you with a list of the different documents necessary for your expatriation.
  • Kindergarten/Nanny : Quite early in the moving process you will have to get some information about childcare. If you have a baby under 3-years-old you will need to contact the local town hall’s Baby Care Service to commence an enquiry if you want your baby to have a nanny. Different solutions exist, but for the one depending on Town Hall organisation, a residence utility bill will be needed.
  • School : You will need to make a good choice for your children’s education (public, private, international, religious, etc.) in order to get the best out of your new location in France. Visit the schools, if necessary book an appointment with the principal and ask for a registration file by January/February.

We help you in your everyday’s life, doing all kind of tasks you cannot do because you are working or you don’t understand French or you have no time to manage your personal paperwork. This will include any help regarding :

  • Tax services : Impôt/Trésor Public
  • Electricity, Gaz, Water network
  • Social Health security
  • Insurance company (don’t forget to start a housing insurance from the 1st day of your arrival)
  • Family allowance : CAF
  • Contracts with phone services : Landline, cellular, internet box
  • All your shop loyalty cards
  • Town Hall : register to baby and children services, education services, electoral card…
  • Post office : have your postal mail forwarded to your new home
  • Banks and Savings
  • Investment contracts
  • Transport pass : RATP/SNCF

Once you are at your new place, here are some tips to remember :

  • Find a good GP : ask your chemist to recommend you a good doctor and don’t hesitate to tell him what is important for you.
  • Find good specialists : ask the doctor to recommend you some.
  • You will probably need a cleaning lady to help you !
  • Leisure associations for you and your children.
  • Go to Prefecture within the 2 months of your settlement to have your papers done : carte grise, permis de conduire, carte d’identité.
  • If you are coming from another country, an international residence club could be great for you.

Don’t forget to prepare yourself and your children psychologically. If possible bring your children to the new place and have good time there : walk around the town, find a nice park to spend some time with them or a nice coffee shop (brasserie) to have lunch or a hot chocolate…

Overall, FamilyZen is there for you. We can intervene at any stage of these processes.

We can give you advice or, better yet, we can do it for you.